Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Re-cycle (2006)



Didn't that look awesome? Well, it's not. While watching it, I was thinking of so many glowing things to say about this movie, but now I won't say any of them. As it turns out, this entire movie is one big anti-abortion propaganda film. No, seriously.

As part of her journey through this 'world of abandoned things', the protagonist has to pass through a tunnel full of aborted fetuses (they are sure to specify that they are aborted, not miscarried). In the end, you find out the little girl that has been her guide through that world is the potential daughter she aborted 8 years prior, after her married lover ran off. Then it's all, "why did you abandon me mommy? you want me now, but you had your chance and you threw it away". There, now I ruined the end for you.

I think what's most upsetting is how great this movie could have been if it stopped trying to preach and just let itself be a good story. It's outright shocking to me that so much effort went into creating what is undeniably a propaganda film. Re-cycle just broke my heart. FUCK THIS MOVIE.

No comments:

Post a Comment